Saturday, August 10, 2013

sex sells...women's empowerment

I have heard that our so called modern society had problems with a Cheerios commercial because it had a bi-racial couple. I think this is probably the most ridiculous thing I have heard in a while. The problem with commercials is not that there is a couple that has different colors, but the fact that very little commercials do not include sexual innuendo. It has gotten so bad that I cannot watch a Hardee's commercial without being subject to a woman's body or a man's body. What does a half-naked body (portrayed as sexy) have to do with hamburgers that make you fatter? I remember when commercials for toilet paper were controversial. Now, it is commonplace and of course, most preppers have butt storage. If you eat, you must wipe. But as I eat, I do not get sexier, especially if I buy a burger with barbeque meat on top. A television advertisement has a woman that is in a very short skirt, holding the t.v. on her lap with her legs slightly open. Now, this does not make me want the t.v., but it does offend me. I have tried to live a certain standard for awhile now, and I have tried to help raise a daughter that respects herself and her body. She refuses to watch certain t.v. shows because of the soft porn sex that is on the screen. I am glad she makes this choice on her own, but she really has no choice when it comes to commercials. Now my granddaughter is also subject to this same mentality of sex sells. Women want empowerment, respect, and equality. These same woman, dress like teenagers, flaunt their breasts and then complain because men look at them as sex symbols. It shows a large gap in thinking. If a woman wants the good things like equality, respect, and empowerment, then they should practice these same standards they want everyone else to hold them to. My mother always told me "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, looks like a duck, what else can it be but a duck?" I am an intelligent female that is earning her teaching degree. This requires four or more years of my life, much money, and still maintain all that a woman is responsible for. I am active in my community, and I have a family that I love and respect. This is true empowerment, and this deserves respect. If I were your child's teacher, would you want me dressed like the person I am, or does it not matter? I think it matters greatly. Children are so susceptible to influences in the early years. If I were to wear a dress that keeps me from bending over, or a shirt that barely holds me in, I would expect to be brought in front a review board. Yet, we subject our children to this influence and then tell them something completely different. Isn't it time we taught our young men to respect the young woman, and teach the young woman to respect themselves? 

No comments:

Post a Comment